skip to navigationskip to main content

Tax Tips and News


Benson Wood Employment Law Update – July 2019

  • Latest news round-up

    Newsletter issue - July 2022 Paying employees more than HMRC's approved mileage allowances It seems as though the price of fuel is increasing every day. If you have employees for which you pay their business fuel you may be finding that paying at the HMRC's set mileage rates does not cover the cost to the…Read More

  • When should a business register for VAT?

    Newsletter issue - July 2022The rules regarding VAT registration appear relatively straightforward -- a business must register if its VAT taxable turnover exceeds the VAT registration threshold (currently £85,000, remaining at this level until at least 31 March 2024). A business which makes taxable supplies is liable to register if, by the end of any…Read More

  • Can employing a family member save tax?

    Newsletter issue - July 2022 Regardless of your business structure (sole trader or limited company) employing a spouse/ civil partner (or any other family member) can be one of the more efficient ways of reducing tax for your business. Such employment can take advantage of lower tax rates and personal allowances that may be available…Read More

  • Tax relief for rental property losses post Covid

    Newsletter issue - July 2022 Landlords could have been said to be the 'forgotten business' of the Covid pandemic - granted, they were able to take a three month 'holiday' from mortgage payments but were not given any direct help from the government (apart from business rate holidays and grants for Furnished Holiday Lets). Despite…Read More

  • July Questions and Answer

    Newsletter issue - July 2022 Q. My business recently hit the VAT registration threshold and I duly completed the necessary forms. That was six weeks ago and HMRC have not sent the VAT number. Now a customer is refusing to pay the VAT element of their invoice. What shall I do? A: Until you receive…Read More

  • July Key tax dates

    Newsletter issue - July 2022 5 - PAYE Settlement Agreements for 2021/22 must be agreed with HMRC. Letting agents acting for non-resident landlords must make a return of the rents paid to landlords and tax deducted in 2021/22 (form NRLY). If no letting agent is acting the tenant must make the return. 6 - Employers…Read More

Tax Tips & News RSS Feed
Sign up for our newsletter